Usually, Roku remote are easy to pair. You just need to press the pairing button and you are good to go.
But… You bought a new Roku remote control and noticed there is no pairing button?
You wonder how to sync your remote with your TV. You have come to the right place for easy solutions!
- How to Sync Roku Remote Without Pairing Button
- Roku TV or Roku stick device? What is the difference?
- What Is the Pairing Button on a Roku Remote?
- Syncing Roku Remote Without Pairing Button
- Common Problems of a Roku Remote
- Buy a new remote
- Wrapping it up
How to Sync Roku Remote Without Pairing Button
A remote pairing button can easily sync a Roku remote with a TV, but there are other ways too. You can Use the Roku App for Pairing on your smartphone to sync the remote to your Roku device. You can also pair it from the buttons on your TV.
Because a video is worth 1000 words, here is a video on how to pair a Roku TV remote without pairing button.
Roku TV or Roku stick device? What is the difference?
A smart TV with Roku built-in is not the same as a Roku stick device that you plug on a HDMI port of your TV.
NOT all Roku remotes have a pairing button. While a Roku TV does use remote control with IR blaster (infrared), a Roku device will work with Wifi.
Thus, a Roku TV remote will work out of the box without pairing and won’t have pairing button on the remote.
A Roku stick device will need to pair and will have a pairing button on the remote.
What Is the Pairing Button on a Roku Remote?
The pairing button on a Roku remote makes it possible to connect your Roku device to a remote control.
This button is usually located on the front of the remote or inside the battery compartment.
If you want to sync your devices, you need to press the Roku remote pairing button until a light turns on on the remote.
Syncing Roku Remote Without Pairing Button
As mentioned earlier, Roku TV models do not include pairing buttons on their remote. IR Roku Remotes don’t need to be paired, they don’t need to sync with the remote because of the infrared technology (standard IR remote). They will automaticaly control any Roku TV out of the box.
However, if you plug a Roku Stick device, you will need to press the pairing button on the remote. But if it doesn’t have a pairing button, try this to pair it.
Sync Roku Remote with Smartphone
The Roku remote app for smartphones makes it possible to control your Roku TV from your phone. You can also use the app to pair a Roku controller without pairing button.
Follow the steps:
- Download Roku App on your phone
- Make sure Wifi is activated on your smartphone
- On the Roku app select the Remote tab to control your TV from your smartphone
- On the app, go to Settings, then Remotes & Devices and Pair New Device
- Your Roku remote will now be paired
If it works, great! If it is not working, try this next solution.
Your TV buttons should make it possible to sync your new remote.
Here are the steps:
- Remove and reinsert the remote batteries
- Remove and re-connect the device and wait for Home screen of the Roku device, then settings
- Select Remotes, then Pair Remote
- This will pair your remote
If none of these solutions worked, there is probably an other problem. Maybe the remote batteries are empty or the Wifi was not activated on your phone or maybe the new remote has a problem.
Common Problems of a Roku Remote
Remote not Syncing: Factory reset
Wether your Roku remote control is not syncing at all or disconnecting regularly, try these extra solutions one by one:
- Turn OFF and ON your Roku device
- Do a factory reset of your TV (go to Settings, then Restart)
- or Turn OFF TV and unplug it
- Press and hold Power button on TV during 1 minute
- Then plug it again and turn it ON. You will have to pair the remote again.
Remote not Syncing: Unpair old Roku remote
Do you still use the old Roku remote? This may be the problem.
Before you can pair your new remote, you need to unpair your old Roku remote first.
- Download the Roku remote App and link it to the Roku stick device
- Select Settings from the app
- Select Remotes & Devices, then select the old remote under My paired devices
- Unpair it
After this step, you can add and pair your new remote.
Your Roku remote has a pairing button but it is not broken or not syncing.
The best solution is quite easy. You will first download the Roku app on your phone, pair your phone to the remote, then pair the remote to the TV. There are the instructions:
- Download Roku app on phone
- Open the app and go to Remote tab
- Use the remote controls to go to settings, then Remotes & devices
- Select the Remote, then Continue
- The remote should be paired now
Roku remote overheating
If your Roku remote becomes hot or plastic melts, this is not normal. Follow these steps asap:
- Remove the batteries
- Let the remote cool down for at least 10 minutes on a safe area
- Insert the batteries and check temperature
If your Roku remote gets hot again, stop using it and replace your Roku controller. It is cheap, don’t take the risk.
Buy a new remote
If you still have troubles with your remote, you can find further help at Roku.
Wrapping it up
You now know how to Sync Roku Remote Without Pairing Button. You also know why some Roku TV remote have pairing buttons and others don’t.
Otherwise follow these steps to sync your Roku remote without using a pairing button:
- Download the Roku App and link it to the Roku stick device
- Select Settings from the app
- Select Remotes & Devices, then Pair New Device
- The remote will pair
An other method is to sync the remote with the TV buttons. Go to the Home Screen of the Roku device, then settings, Select Remotes, then Pair Remote and it will pair your remote.
If your remote control doesn’t have a pairing button and doesn’t sync with the Roku App, make sure to unpair your old remote first if you had one.
Anyway, if your Roku remote is broken, you have too many problems or doesn’t work as it should, consider replacing it.