Your TCL TV won’t turn on and it is annoying…
If like me you have this problem, I assure you, unless the Chinese TV is really broken, there are solutions to solve this problem. Many people on the internet have TCL TV that won’t turn on.
After trying many solutions found online, I found a solution that worked for me and other people with this issue. Try this!
- TCL TV won’t turn on (Solution 1)
- TCL TV that won’t turn on (Alternative Solutions)
- – Check that the TCL TV is powered on
- – Disconnect the wall plug from the TCL TV
- – Remove the batteries from the TCL TV remote
- – Change the batteries of the TCL TV remote control
- – TCL TV turned on but screen is black
- – Turn on TCL TV without remote control
- – Reset TCL TV
- – Factory reset TCL TV
- – Disable CEC in settings
- – Check the power cable connection on the TCL TV
- – Try another outlet
- – Replace power supply
- – Replace a broken capacitor
- – Call TCL TV support
- – Take the TV for repair
- – Buy a new TV
- Wrapping it up
TCL TV won’t turn on (Solution 1)
If your TCL TV won’t turn on, it probably needs to be reset. To do this, unplug the TV from wall outlet and wait for 1 minute (to drain residual electronic power left). Then plug the TCL TV back in. The TV should turn back on.
In most cases, this step will resolve your TCL TV issue.
If your TCL TV still won’t turn on after resetting it or if the red light flashes, try these additional steps (in order). Your TV may not be broken.
TCL TV that won’t turn on (Alternative Solutions)
– Check that the TCL TV is powered on
It seems so obvious but it’s the first thing to check!
It might not be the problem but it is an interesting troubleshooting step that should be quickly ruled out.
If the red standby light is on in the corner of the TV then there is power and you can move on to the next step.
If you don’t see a red LED on, make sure the outlet has power. To easily check that, plug your phone charger into the TV’s wall outlet. You will immediately see if the socket has a problem, if the circuit breaker has tripped or if it is working normally.
If you don’t see a LED on and the TV won’t turn on, the problem might be more serious you’ll find solutions further down in this article.
If the red light is ON, blue or green but the screen remains black, follow the next step before going any further.
– Disconnect the wall plug from the TCL TV
Unplugging and then re plugging your TCL TV from the wall outlet is a simple fix that often works!
The key to success is to wait 1-2 minutes, not just a few seconds. Be patient, the capacitors need a little time to fully discharge.
If you are in a hurry, you can press and hold the ON button on the TV for at least 10 seconds (not the button on the remote control! ), this will speed up the unloading.
Plug the TV back in after 1 or 2 minutes and you should be able to turn back the TCL TV on.
While this solution in most cases solves a TCL TV that won’t turn on issue, in some cases the problem is something else. If you still can’t turn your TCL TV back on, try the other solutions below that have worked for other people.
– Remove the batteries from the TCL TV remote
If unplugging and plugging your TV back in did not solve the problem and the output source is set correctly, try the solution of removing the batteries from the remote control.
Remove all batteries from the remote, not just one battery.
Then press and hold the power button on the remote for 10 seconds. Don’t cheat, press it for at least 10 seconds!
After 10 seconds, replace the batteries and turn on the TV. It should turn back on.
– Change the batteries of the TCL TV remote control
Obvious again but did you know that low batteries can turn on the remote TV’s LED and still not be able to turn on the TV?
It happened to me once, I’ve been fooled… Even if the batteries seem good, they may not have enough power to send the signal to the TCL television. Because turning on a LED is easy, but sending a command signal to the TV needs extra power.
– TCL TV turned on but screen is black
If the LED is turned on blue or green, it means the TV is on. A black screen can mean several things:
- severe (called black screen of death)
- not serious (adjustments can be made)
Your TV is on but may be on a wrong input.
Check the input source. A child or you may have accidentally pressed the “source” button on the remote control and changed the input source. In this case the TV could show a black screen or “no signal” text on screen.
How to find the correct input source:
The solution is to press the “source” button on the remote control to cycle through the sources (TV, Ext, HDMI1, HDMI2, AV…) corresponding to your devices connected to the TV. Press the button until you see again a TV channel.
Don’t have remote?
Without remote control, press the MENU button on the TV itself, then navigate to SOURCE with the volume buttons. Select the correct output (example HDMI 2 if your device is connected to this port at the back of the TV)
If nothing shows on screen by pressing the source button, try the next solution.
– Turn on TCL TV without remote control
If you can’t turn the TV on with the remote, try turning it on from the ON/OFF button on the side, bottom front or bottom of the TV.
If it works, the problem was probably the remote. In case the batteries are good then the remote should be replaced.
When a TCL TV regularly has power-on issues, it may be worth resetting to factory settings.
– Reset TCL TV
Before trying a factory reset, let’s try to restart the TV from the “reset” button on the back of the TV.
This is specially useful if the light blinks when you press the On button, but the TV doesn’t turn on. Follow these steps:
- Make sure TV is plugged.
- Locate the “reset” button on the back of the TV. It is a small hole in the back panel you can find close to the HDMI ports.
- Use a toothpick or paper clip or something something thin and hard to be able to press the button. Hold it for 10 to 20 seconds.
- Try to turn the TV ON.
If it doesn’t work, try again and press the reset button longer.
– Factory reset TCL TV
Sometimes, when a TCL TV regularly has trouble to turn on, try (if possible) performing a factory reset. This requires being able to turn on the TV so it is not necessarily your case at this point:
Factory reset TCL TV with remote:
- Press the “home” button (icon looks like a house)
- Go to “settings”
- Go to “system”
- Go to “advanced system settings”
- Then “factory reset” and “factory reset everything”
Here’s how to factory reset a TCL TV:
If despite everything, the problem persists, try the following.
– Disable CEC in settings
CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) is an HDMI feature that allows other HDMI-connected devices to be controlled with a single remote and to automatically switch HDMI when a connected device turns on.
This feature can sometimes block a TCL TV from turning on, so it might be worth disabling this feature and seeing if that fixes the power-on issue.
- From remote:
- Press the “Settings” button on the remote (gear icon)
- Select “System” and then “T-Link“
- Switch it OFF
- From TV (without remote):
- Press the “Menu” button and go to “settings” (gear icon)
- Select “System” and then “T-Link“
- Switch it OFF
– Check the power cable connection on the TCL TV
Another fairly simple solution to your TCL TV problem is to unplug and then reconnect the TV’s power cable.
Check that the cable is firmly seated in the notches at the back of the TV, sometimes it can loosen over time.
The trick here is to then turn on the TV by pressing the ON button on the TV and not the ON button on the remote.
– Try another outlet
It’s unlikely to change anything, but you can always try plugging the TV into an other room in the house or in an another house.
If your house has electrical problems and you ignore it (or maybe you know about it), it might make a difference, but it’s an unlikely the case if other devices can turn ON on that outlet.
– Replace power supply
If nothing has worked so far but you really want to keep your TCL TV, you can remove the TV’s power supply and send it in for repair.
However, this approach is useless if your TV has the standby button turned on. It means the power supply is working, so try something else.
If not, the power board is probably faulty.
A power supply of TCL TV costs around 70 dollars. You can try to change it yourself.
Here’s how to remove the power board from a TCL TV:
– Replace a broken capacitor
If your TCL is out of warranty, you are eco-friendly and absolutely want to repair your broken TCL TV, you can try to identify which capacitor is broken on the motherboard.
Let me warn you now, this step is not that easy and requires tools (a soldering iron and tin for electronic parts) and replacement capacitors (same power!) You will need up to 10 days to complete this step.
It’s quite technical, you have to:
- Lay the TV face down on a blanket (on a table)
- Unscrew all the screws from the back cover of the TV
- Unplug ports (cables connected)
- Look for a capacitor that has a bulging or chipped or burnt head. You may find several capacitors with this issue.
- Unsolder those burnt out capacitors
- identify and buy or order the same capacitor online
- solder the new capacitors
- close the TV and test it
For these steps, it will be necessary to evacuate static electricity from your hands, to avoid damaging the electronic circuit.
– Call TCL TV support
If your TV is under warranty, i hope you contacted their support before opening your TV.
This is one of the last recommended solutions because they won’t do much if your TV is out of warranty.
Depending on your home country, you can contact them at:
- USA & Canada: https://support.tcl.com/contact-us
- UK: https://mobile-support.tcl.com/uk/en/service.html
- Australia: https://www.tcl.com/au/en/support-centre.html
– Take the TV for repair
If you absolutely repair your TCL television (because at this stage, we can really think that it has a real problem), you can take it to a local repairer who will give you a diagnostic estimate (free or paid) then an estimate of repair.
– Buy a new TV
If you can’t get your TCL TV to turn on with all of these solutions, look no further, it’s time to get rid of it and buy a new one. In this case, I recommend a Bluetooth smart TV with 4K high resolution.
Here is the best value for money at the moment:
Samsung E55Q60A 55-inch 4K Quantum HDR QLED Smart TV
Sizes : from 32 to 85 inches
Resolution : 4K
Other : smart TV Wifi, Bluetooth, HDR, 3 HDMI, 2 USB
Wrapping it up
TCL TVs sometimes have difficulties to turn on and there are multiple reasons for that. If your TCL TV won’t turn on, try these solutions in that order:
- Check that the TCL TV is powered on
- Unplug the TCL TV wall plug
- Remove the batteries from the TCL TV remote
- Change TCL TV Remote Batteries
- Turn on the TV without a remote
- Factory reset TCL TV
- Disable CEC in Settings
- Check the power cable connection on the TCL TV
- Try another outlet
- Replace power supply
- Replace a broken capacitor
- Call TCL after-sales service
- Take the television for repair
- Or buy a new TV
If despite all your efforts none of these solutions work, stop worrying anymore! You’ve been patient and it’s time to buy a new television. TCL, Samsung, LG and many other well-known brands are reliable.